Historical and cultural sites
Architectural ensemble - City Center
The space between Bulgaria Blvd. and Dimitar Blagoev Blvd. is an architectural ensemble that combines many ideas of modernism from the first half of the XX century - functional zoning, typical housing construction among greenery, separation with a green belt of the labor zone. In April 1948 the first general urban plan of Dimitrovgrad by the great Bulgarian architect Prof. Lyuben Tonev was adopted. The second one is from 1951 by arch. Petar Tashev and team and the central part of the city is being built on it. The ensemble is solved in the only normatively possible for the time aesthetics of neoclassicism. The goal of the architects is to create a city center with a monumental and powerful architectural image. On its territory there are works of monumental art, some of which appeared at a later stage, but are from the time of the totalitarian system and are evidence of its aesthetics. In 2010 it was declared as an immovable cultural property by the Ministry of Culture.