Uzunköprü - Historical and cultural sites
THE MONUMENT OF FREEDOM
The Uzunköprü freedom monument symbolizes the transition to democracy in Turkey. The Ottoman
Empire passed from absolute monarchy to parliamentary regime on July 23, 1908, with the
declaration of the II. Constitutionalist. During this period, which is the turning point of the history of
Turkish democracy, many democratic rights and freedoms were gained. This historic monument
made as a memorial fountain monument overlooking the city side of the bridge is in this sense the
first monument in Turkey.
With the leadership and initiatives of the Uzunköprü District Governor and Mayor of that period, this
monument of freedom was erected on the left-hand side of the bridge overlooking the city. The
opening speech of the ceremony has a place in history with the title of “National and Public Wedding of the Ottomans”.
The Freedom Monument was built on a 6 m high and 2 m 2 floor. There are two fountains on the front
and left side of the monument, one for people and because of widely present livestock in Uzunköprü
during that period, one for livestock’s usage. Unfortunately, these two fountains were later removed.
On four sides of the Freedom monument, there are Ottoman writings symbolizing the four important
principles of the French revolution - Liberty, Justice, Equality and Brotherhood.
The monument was completely renovated with a restoration 104 years after the Freedom
Monument was made and opened to the public on December 11, 2012. The monument is visited
with interest by locals and tourists coming to Uzunköprü. The Freedom Monument is located 20 meters from the bus terminal at the city entrance of Uzunköprü, next to the bus station. Information
about the monument can be found on the sign in front of the Statue of Liberty.
For more information: +90 284 513 11 43 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org